High-wing light monoplane with welded steel tubular frame fuselage. The wings have internal wooden spars and aluminium cross-members.
The J4 was a two-seater aircraft derived from the model J2 Arrow, produced for the American market. To suit the British Market and overcome import regulations it was fitted with an improved engine. The J4 was seen as the successor to the pre-war civilian model D. It was in production from 1946 - 1958 and only 26 were made as the two seater models were not as popular as the four seater. It is also designated as "significant" on the British Aviation Preservation Council.
G-AIJK was used locally by the Leicestershire Aero Club from 1953 to 1967. The following year it was blown over by a gale at Hemswell, Leicestershire and was never flown again. It was acquired by Leicestershire museums in 1980 in a disused and fire damaged condition.