Velenje Museum

Muzej Velenje

The Velenje Castle is one of the most beautiful castles in Slovenia. It houses a museum with eleven permanent museum and gallery collections and several temporary exhibitions. Some of the most interesting collections are the following: Mastodon Collection; Šaleška dolina Valley between the 10th and the 17th century; African Collection of František Foit; Gorenje Collection of Contemporary Slovenian Art.

The Kavčnik Homestead in Zavodnje pri Šoštanju is an exceptional open-air museum of folk architecture. The homestead is situated in an approximately 400-year-old smokehouse with open fireplace. The Memorial Room where partial German capitulation was signed on the 9th May 1945 in Topolščica portrays the signing of one of the four partial capitulations of the German army. The Memorial Room at Graška Gora is dedicated to valiant struggles of the legendary 14th Partisan division.

Other venues



Exhibitions and events

Mastodon - Palaeontological collection

Permanent exhibition

In the former stables prehistoric finds of two spices of mastodon, predecessors of today's elephant, are exhibited. They were discovered in 1964 in Škale near Velenje. Mastodons strode in...

Šaleška Valley between the 10th and 17th Century

Permanent exhibition

The exhibition presents Šaleška dolina valley from the first written documents dating from the 12th century until the end of the 17th century at the time of a decline of the Middle Age...

Castle Chapel

Permanent exhibition

In the 17th century the northwest protective tower of the castle was altered into a chapel. It was renovated in 1985 and a collection of baroque art from church St. George in Škale was...

African Collection

Permanent exhibition

The collection is composed of objects gathered by Czech academic sculptor František Foit during his 25 years in Africa. It was renovated in 1998 and is the only collection of this kind in...

Old shop and inn - Reconstruction of a shop with mixed goods and an inn from the beginning of the 20th Century

Permanent exhibition

The shop dates from around 1930 and is furnished with original equipment from two shops in Šaleška dolina valley: drawers, counter, old cash box, a stand with glass vessel for sweets,...

Show all

Educational programs

We don't have anything to show you here.


Collections

RAZGLEDNICE

225 objects

Latest news


Suggested Content