The title in the top left corner of this sheet reads, 'A New Map of Ayr Shire, Comprehending Kyle, Cunningham and Carrick'. It was drawn up in 1775 by Captain Andrew Armstrong and his son Mostyn at a scale of 1 mile to an inch. There are a further five sheets to complete this map. The title is contained within a large cartouche which fills the top of the sheet. Lanarkshire and the tip of Ayrshire run along the bottom of the map.
Throughout the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries radical changes were being made to the landscape resulting from industrialisation and new farming methods as well as population growth and migration. These changes were partly responsible for an increased demand in large-scale county maps. The move from traverse and sketch methods to trigonometrical surveying resulted in more detailed and accurate maps. Cartography also became more specialised at this time with surveying becoming a more technical and professional field. Once new maps had been drafted, they were often reused by other map makers to cut costs. Despite this lack of originality there was a new wealth of information contained in these maps such as roads, boundaries and industrial works, along with fully explained symbols.
Cartouches came to have a significant role in both the production and the sale of maps. They were pretty ornaments which improved the value and saleability of the map and were also a vehicle for pictorial representation of the area. Here the rolling and forest territory of Ayrshire is beautifully illustrated. The rivers, burns and ancient architecture of the area can also be seen.